Land: Zoning, site plan design, engineering, grading, studies, Bill 23, parking, density, neighborhood character, hidden costs, where is the money made or lost?
Structure: Construction budget, construction techniques, built form, site servicing for utilities, optimizing for profit, loss avoidance, hidden costs, development charges/ frontage fees/ cash in lieu, tear down vs retrofit
Skills/ Time: What are you good at? Should you self-manage? How long does it take to build? What to do when someone says no, common misconceptions, important terminology, working with neighbors, building in the winter
As well as common questions such as:
1. How do you start this process?
2. How big should the lot be?
3. How long does it take to build?
4. How do you finance the build?
5. How do you exit?
6. Where can things go wrong?
7. What's your price per square foot? (Why Ryan hates this question).
Get the spreadsheet
Ryan uses to calculate new construction profits and losses.